Pizza is one of the most popular foods in the entire world and they come in many styles and varieties. Pizza is especially popular in the United States as it can be created with so many different types of ingredients that it would be difficult to get bored eating the dish even on a regular basis.
Here are seven fun facts about this commonly eaten food that you may not have known.
- Approximately 17 percent of all restaurants in the US are pizzerias.
- In 1987, the month of October was first designated as National Pizza Month in the US.
- On a yearly basis, the average person consumes about 23 pounds of pizza, which equates to about 46 slices.
- Naples, Italy is home to the very first pizzeria, which was opened in 1738.
- Super Bowl week sees the highest consumption of pizza during the year.
- The most popular topping is pepperoni coming in at roughly 36 percent of all the toppings ordered on pizzas.
- Women are twice as likely as their male counterparts to order a meatless, vegetarian pizzas.